In 1952 and 1953 Ed Wilson of Yuba City, chair of the Council camp committee, Jim Carnahan, Marysville, Council Commissioner and Alden Barber, Scout Executive, spent many weekends seeking a site, preferably on a lke in the Sierra. They discovered 10 small lakes within five miles of Lake Sterling (a PG&E) water storage lake). Their intent was to provide campsites for back country treks.
In 1954, Glacial Trails Scout Ranch (GTSR) was established on Sterling Lake. This property consists of 5 acres of leased Forest Service Land and 100 acres leased from PG&E.
A permanent commissary structure was built in 1957 and rebuilt in 1958 dure to a bad snow storm. Commissary building was also constructed again in 1970. In 1970 efforts of many volunteers resulted in a new staff dining building.
On July 21, 2007 the Camp was dedicated as Camp Robert L. Cole. The Cole family continues to support the camp and works deligently to improve the facility and program for all Scouts.