In 1922 the newly formed Sacramento Lions Club made a gift to the Sacramento Council of one acre bordering the American River just west of the Sixteenth Street Bridge. In the spring, the Lion's Club decided to build a lodge there for Scout use. In may 1922, the City of Sacramento held a major community celebration memorating 'days of 49'. The Lions ran a concession producing a profit of $8,000, adding to another $2,000 already earmarked for construction.
The lodge's construction became a huge community project. Many items were donated, or sold at cost, by local merchants. Local tradesmen volunteered their time. Some of the donors were Jim Emigh-hardware; Joe Hobrecht-wiring and fixtures; Edward Earle-plumbing fixtures; Ray Post-paints; the Southern Pacific Corporation-two large cast bronze plaques that were placed on either side of the fireplace; and the Western Pacific Company-a massive set of andirons, tongs and poker. 'Lions' gathered cobble stones for the fireplace.
In June, 1923, the lodge was dedicated and presented to the Council by Judge Charles McLaughlin. Fred Yoerk, Council President, accepted the debt-free land and building.
David Wilson (1923) became the first, live-in caretaker of the lodge.
In 1937, George and Irma Pollock donated an additional ten acres and the site name was changed to "Camp Pollock".
Camp Pollock was rededicated (1946) as a training center instead of an overnight campsite. Nineteen lambs were purchased to control grass growth.
In 1948 living quarters were built at Pollock to accommodate a caretaker.
Severe flooding of the American River in 1950 caused great damage at Camp Pollock. Water rose to the level of the floor in the lodge.
In 1951, the interior of the Lion's Lodge was remodeled with knotty pine; and heaters were installed.
"Mayi Room" was added to the west end of the building in 1952.
In 1960 George Pollock, Jr. and John P. Pollock donated an additional 74 acres.
In the 1980's the main room at the lodge was named for Tom Allen, a long-time dedicated Scouter.
Cited: "History of the Golden Empire Council 1920-1995"