Buttes Area Home
Welcome to Scouting in Buttes Area District
Serving the youth of in the Colusa, Yuba and Sutter Counties, CA
... where Scouts have fun while learning about the outdoors, responsibility, citizenship, nature and a whole lot more. Scouts are grouped by age and maturity level, gaining in experience and responsibility as they grow. Click on the "Join Scouting" tab above for information on age requirements and joining.
Volunteers are needed to support our boys in the Buttes Area District. Contact Dan Garvin (916) 275-7541.
Who: for all Scoutmasters, Cubmasters, Webelos Leaders, Den Leaders, Tiger Partners and other unit leaders.(In the Future Boy Leaders Also)
When: The first Thursday of each month, @ 7:00pm (1900).
Where: CalTrans building, 703 B st., Marysville, CA
District Committee Meeting:
Who: for District Officers and Unit Charter Organization Representatives.
When: Second Thursday of every month at 6:30 pm.
Where: Ellyson Chiropractic 605 E Street, Marysville
Buttes Area Key 3:
District Chairman, Bob Bassett - email@example.com, 530-218-6526
District Commissioner, John Seasmons - firstname.lastname@example.org, 530-671-6343 (H)
District Executive, Dan Garvin - email@example.com , (916) 275-1541
What's on the Buttes Area site?
• Units - listing of Buttes Area units and meeting locations
• Calendar - Calendar with District events
• Training - description and schedule of available training classes
• Leadership for Buttes Area - district leaders and committee chairmen contacts
• Buttes Area News - listing of scheduled District and Council events
• District News - Current district events, training, opportunities and other "items of interest"
• Advancement - Info on Merit Badge Trail to Eagle Drive and Eagle rank procedure
• Awards - Lists of Buttes Area Eagles, Silver Beavers and "Of-the-Year" award winners
• Cracker Barrel - information on hiking trails, backpacking trails, summer camps and a bunch more (Folsom Treks, RimRover, etc.)
A Brief History of Buttes Area District
The district began its life as a part of the Sacramento District Council (predecessor to the Golden Empire Council) in 1923. One year later that council was split three ways. Buttes Area Council came into being May 1, 1924 and included Butte (southern portion), Colusa, Sutter and Yuba Counties. The council was divided into two districts, Broken Arrow and ??
The National Council encouraged smaller councils to merge in order to streamline operations and in 1993, Buttes Area Council, along with Mount Lassen Area Council, was consolidated with the Golden Empire Council. For a time, the District was called the Buttes Area Region. In 2001, the council made a boundary change, moving the Gridley Stake of the LDS Church into Ranchero West District. This was done to better align the LDS units in the Oroville and Gridley areas with their traditional units in the same areas, making all of Butte County a part of Ranchero West District. This also made the LDS Liberty Ward (Live Oak) a part of that district.
Bruce Johnson's memory